- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , minced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground pork ( for spicier flavour increase the amount of red pepper flakes )
- 8 ounces curly-edged lasagna noodles , broken into 2-inch lengths (10)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese , grated (1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a quart measuring cup. Add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the meatloaf mix and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the noodle pieces evenly over the meat. Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes. (The sauce should look watery after 15 minutes of cooking. If dry, add up to 1/4 cup additional water to loosen the sauce.).
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles. Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the extra Parmesan separately.