- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion greens
- Equipment: about 48 bamboo skewers
Preheat oven to 450F with rack in lower third.
Meanwhile, cook onion in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, 1 1/2 tablespoons water, peanut butter, sugar, fish sauce, and red pepper flakes and cook, whisking, until peanut butter is incorporated. Cook sauce at a bare simmer, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until it thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice and scallion greens.
Push 1 piece of chicken onto each skewer and serve with warm peanut sauce for dipping.
Make ahead: Sauce can be made without lime juice and scallions 3 days ahead and kept chilled once cooled. Just before serving, reheat, then stir in lime juice and scallions, thinning with water if necessary.
Chicken can be roasted 1 day ahead without cutting into pieces and kept chilled once cooled. Cut and skewer, then let come to room temperature, loosely covered with plastic wrap, before serving, about 1 hour.